Core Role Description
The primary role in the Core Engagement Model is the Solution Architect. This role provides enough experience in business, information, infrastructure and software to fulfill most aspects of the Core Lifecycle.
The Solution Architect has mastered the fundamental skills in architecture and has been a practicing architect within delivery based organization. The solution architect is responsible for delivery on one or more projects within the scope of the business case for the solution. Their primary role is to optimize the value of a solution to an organization through delivery and reduce owner risk in its delivery while ensuring the solution meets all compliance and regulatory which impact the system. The solution architect will work with specialist architects, technical staff and stakeholders of the solution to ensure it is delivered or canceled based on the most effective strategy for the organization as a whole.
The solution architect owns the value of the delivery of a system from inception throughout the delivery lifecycle. For an existing solution this may mean working with the primary architect who originated the program or becoming the architect of record. This value may be communicated through robust analysis of the system components and the tradeoffs made during design and development. The solution architect will in addition create numerous formal models of the system and its impact on the overall topology of the technical strategy.
Other Industry Role Names
Enterprise Solution Architect, Project Architect
- Rigorous design methodology that consistently yields the right level of technical design documentation and develop technical solutions that conform both to customer requirements and solution development standards
- Review, cost and design optimized solution designs based on rigorous understanding of costs and returns
- Participate and recommend prioritization through the project implementation process
- Hands-on development may be required to demonstrate component selection and prototyping
- Ability to act as a key member of project team and provide leadership in both application design and development.
- Assist in problem resolution and support the development team through consultation and problem research
- Utilize understanding of industry solution trends to innovate and provide new project/product ideas within the investment lifecycle
- Participate in governance mechanisms and ensure that deliveries exceed governance standards
- Proven oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong relationship development with all primary and secondary stakeholders
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Work as equals with engineering/development staff for optimal design/delivery
- Communicating solution concepts to all levels of management
- Address solution complexity
- Ensure that expected application quality attribute levels are achieved
Common Education / Experience:
- Experience with all elements of change management
- Experience with all major forms of quality assurance
- Preferred experience with leading project teams including the development of project management deliverables
- Experience in developing project scoping and scaling deliverables
- Strong software and infrastructure process skills
- Strong information management skills
- Strong verbal and written presentation skills
- Proven capacity to work independently and manage multiple, competing demands
- Able to take high level requirements and develop software architecture and code with minimum supervision
- Requires specific experience with particular software platforms (Note: in adapting this job description you should list any particular technology items here)